- Start exploring possible career options ASAP! The earlier you start your journey of career exploration, the better off you will be.
- Select a major based upon the career you wish to attain. Select a second major or minor as a contingency plan -- career option #2. This sounds obvious, but you would be surprised how many students select a major based on ease and whether or not they can graduate on time. These students fail to understand what careers they will be qualified or unqualified to pursue.
- Educate yourself about the student loans you are taking out -- know exactly how much debt you are getting yourself into and how much you will eventually owe.
- Learn a second language! Don't just take the classes because it's required, make an honest effort to actually learn the language. This is one of the biggest regrets I have in life.
- Take on an internship. The more internships the better. Internships are a great way to test out careers and speak to professionals regarding their likes and dislikes about the job.
- Study abroad. Explore the country of the second language you are learning. This will help you become fluent in the language and will look amazing on a resume.
- Never underestimate what you can accomplish in 15 minutes! Just because you only have 15 minutes between classes or meetings that doesn't mean you should just waste that time on facebook, twitter, etc. Make use of that time by starting your readings for the evening, brainstorm paper or project ideas you have coming up, or read up on current events.
- Be mindful of the identity you are creating for yourself with every post you place on facebook. What you think is funny at 18-20 will later embarrass you at 30. Additionally, it may cost you the perfect job when your potential employer does an in-depth search of you on the internet.
- The above is just a mere sampling of the topics and areas that would be explored more broadly in the individual life coaching sessions.
Advice for College and College Bound Students
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment